The sous chef assists the head chef in all culinary activities of the restaurant. This position will assist the head chef in overseeing all activity in the kitchen, train personnel, plan menus, oversee product purchasing and manage culinary budget.
▪ Assist head chef in designing new recipes, plan menus, and select plate presentation.
▪ Assist head chef in directing and designing plating/presentation techniques for all dishes.
▪ Write detailed recipe preparation and presentation manual for each item in the menu including step-by-step directions and pictures.
▪ Assist head chef in researching and implementing new culinary trends.
▪ Coordinate and direct all food preparation, from prep through service.
▪ Ensure promptness, freshness and consistent quality of dishes.
▪ Ensure sufficient staffing levels are scheduled to accommodate business demands.
▪ Review weekly and monthly schedules to meet forecast and budget.
▪ Understand employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
▪ Write detailed work manual for each function in the kitchen.
▪ Train culinary staff on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plating presentation.
▪ Teach preparation according to well defined recipes and follows up and discuss ways of constantly improving the cuisine at the property.
▪ Train, develop and motivate all kitchen staff, such as cooks, food preparation workers and dishwashers to meet and exceed established food preparation standards on a consistent basis.
▪ Identify the developmental needs of kitchen staffs, provide coaching and mentoring, and also help them to improve their knowledge or skills.
▪ Display exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counselling employees as appropriate and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
▪ Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance, and ensuring efficient work.
▪ Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed
▪ Delegate daily tasks to sous chef and other kitchen staff; manage their progress throughout the day, and coordinating cooks’ tasks.
▪ Work efficiently to resolve any problems that arise in the kitchen.
▪ Conduct daily pre-opening meetings to ensure staff is ready for the day
▪ Able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication in English.
▪ Communication and leadership skills.
▪ Mastery of the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentation.
▪ Advanced salads, soups, and appetizers development and execution skills.
▪ Vast knowledge in culinary arts, including any new up and coming food trends.
▪ Capable of delegating multiple tasks.
▪ Experience in meat handling and butchering, especially steaks.
▪ Ability to meet deadlines.
▪ Expert problem solver who thrives under pressure.
▪ Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS).
▪ 2+ years Culinary Arts degree and/or other culinary certification. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
▪ 5+ years of relevant work experience.